I haven’t participated/done an April Fools joke in a long time mostly because people are pretty aware of the day and if you aren’t the first person to get them on April First, then really don’t stand a chance.
The web world though, seems to be another story. Google, in all of their humor and money, have a long tradition of coming up with new ideas/schemes to trick us all on this first day of April. This year is no exception. Funny thing is, plenty of other sites are joining in the excitement as well.
A few of my fav’s:
- Google and Richard Branson (Virgin Airlines) starting a colony on Mars, project labeled Virgle.
- Gmail’s “Custom Time” emails. Adjust the date on your email to resend for issues like missed birthdays.
- Google Australia’s “gDay with MATE” technology that can predict the news one day in advance.
- Woot’s woot-off. An all day event of selling the same product over and over. (I’m actually a little tired of this one, they keep filling my RSS reader with the same thing!” And I’m mad that I missed the 3am BOC.
- Rick Roll’ing of all the Featured Videos on YouTube‘s home page. (YouTube, owned by Google; I’ll explain the concept of Rick Roll’ing later)
And my favorite